Event Date & Time
In this session, five experts will share their insights on the use of disaggregated student demographic data in SoTL. Panelists will discuss: the opportunities and risks of working with student demographic data; the importance of having a well-defined and articulated process and purpose for collecting, analyzing, and using such data; as well as current institutional initiatives related to the collection and administration of student demographic data at UBC. This session is part of the 5th annual Celebrate SoTL event.
We will hear from diverse educators on their experience working with student demographic data in the teaching and learning landscape, and beyond:
- Karen Smith, Lecturer, Faculty of Science, Department of Microbiology and Immunology
- Stephanie McKeown, Chief Institutional Research Officer, Planning and Institutional Research (PAIR)
- Matt Coles, Education Program Director, Faculty of Science, Department of Mathematics
- Laura Moss, Professor, Associate Dean, Students, Faculty of Arts, Department of English Language and Literacy
- Elsie Achugbue, Director, Institutional Initiatives, Equity & Inclusion Office
- Elisa Baniassad, Associate Professor of Teaching, Department of Computer Science; Deputy Academic Director of the CTLT; and Director of the Institute for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning
This session is part of the 5th annual Celebrate SoTL event.
October 20 | 9:00am – 10:30am | Celebrate SoTL Keynote: Leveraging UBC’s Strength in SoTL
October 20 | 11:00am – 12:30pm | Interactive Panel: Perspectives on Student Demographic Data in SoTL
October 21 | 10:00am – 11:30am | Lightning Talks: Showcase your SoTL Work
October 21 | 12:15pm – 1:45pm | Hands-on Workshop: Creating a SoTL Project
Please register for sessions individually as desired.