Event Date & Time
Please click “Register Now” to apply for this workshop. You will be contacted to inform you of your application status.
In response to the transition to online learning at UBC, we are offering a one-week intensive workshop that focuses on balancing and blending synchronous and asynchronous learning components in an online format. During this workshop, you will learn about the relative strengths of each approach, and consider how to optimally utilize each within a course you will be teaching. For example: Which learning activities best support students to learn independently in an asynchronous format? Which activities are best supported by synchronous sessions, and which resources/approaches are most effective to support them? How can you balance and blend these approaches to optimize learning? In this workshop, you will also develop an understanding of effective approaches to enhance your teaching presence and to support active learning in an online environment. In addition, you will experience online learning from a ‘learning’ perspective, in a course that models many options that may be relevant to incorporate into your own course (re)design.
Who is this for?
This session is intended for UBC Educators who are currently teaching or will be doing so in the near future, and are faced with the challenge of moving to an online format. This program is not intended for support staff or students. Please note, if you do not meet this criteria, your application to the program will not be approved.
We have limited capacity for these sessions, and will initially give priority to instructors who are preparing their courses for this school year.
What’s in it for me?
- A deep dive into asynchronous and synchronous online learning, and how to balance and blend these approaches to optimize learning
- Develop a course or sequence of classes that optimize teaching presence and active learning
- Learn from faculty in different disciplines
- Experience an online environment that models options for teaching from a ‘learner’s’ perspective
Time Commitment and Dates:
- 10-12 hours of total time commitment over a one week period, including:
- 7-9 hours asynchronous learning and activities
- 2 x 1.5-hour synchronous sessions
- Course Opens Monday, October 19, 9:00 am
- Synchronous Session 1: Wed, October 21, 10:00 am – 11:30 am
- Synchronous Session 2: Friday, October 23, 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
For the synchronous sessions please make sure you have your own quiet space, a computer with a webcam and headphones or earbuds.