Event Date & Time
Transitioning to Teaching is a short course that focuses on blending synchronous and asynchronous online components. In this peer-based course, you will learn strategies and approaches to teaching effectively online. You will also develop an understanding of effective approaches to enhance your teaching presence and to support active learning in an online environment.
What will you get out of this course?
- Dive deep into asynchronous and synchronous online learning, and how to balance and blend these approaches to optimize learning
- Understand teaching presence and what it means for you and your students
- Learn from your peers about strategies and approaches for online teaching
- Receive feedback and incorporate new teaching strategies into your practice
- Get one-on-one support from learning designers, and educational consultants
- Experience an online environment that models options for teaching from a ‘learner’s’ perspective
Who is this for?
This session is intended for UBC Educators who are currently teaching or will be doing so in the near future, and are faced with the challenge of moving to an online format. This program is not intended for support staff or students. Please note, if you do not meet these criteria, your application to the program will not be approved.
Time Commitment and Dates:
- 10-12 hours of total time commitment over a one week period, including:
- 7-9 hours asynchronous learning and activities
- 2 x 1.5-hour synchronous sessions
- Course Opens Monday, December 14, 9:00 am
- Synchronous Session 1: Wednesday, December 16, 10:00 am – 11:30 am
- Synchronous Session 2: Friday, December 18, 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm
This event will be hosted on Zoom.