Event Date & Time
This event is part of the CTLT Winter Institute, taking place from December 12-15, 2022.
Academic integrity is a cross-cutting concept in higher education. It affects students’ experience and learning and educators’ course and assessment design decisions. There have been many recent developments around academic integrity at UBC, including updates to the academic misconduct regulation to introduce a diversionary process and integrity plans, a new academic integrity website, and the creation of an Academic Integrity Hub in the Office of the Provost and Vice-President Academic. At the heart of these initiatives, UBC’s aim is to support and promote an educative approach to academic integrity and academic misconduct. As a starting point, this panel will take the idea that everyone has a role to play in academic integrity. It will consider the multifaceted nature of faculty roles and responsibilities, from teaching academic integrity to supporting student wellbeing to responding to misconduct. It will touch on a wide range of topics including course design and inclusive teaching, student wellbeing, responding to misconduct and student experiences. It will also consider how academic integrity can intersect with UBC’s strategic commitments.
The panel aims to spark conversation, but also offer some practical takeaways to support a holistic approach to academic integrity in the classroom and beyond. By the end of the session, participants will be able to:
- Understand the roles of academic integrity in higher education
- Define an educative approach to academic integrity, both within courses and in responses to academic misconduct
- Discover different perspectives on academic integrity at UBC
- Relate academic integrity concepts to other topics including wellbeing and inclusive teaching
- Jaclyn Stewart, Associate Dean Academic, Faculty of Science
- Ainsley Rouse, Academic Integrity Senior Manager, Office of the Provost and Vice-President Academic
- Shirley Nakata, Ombuds person for Students
- Stefania Burke, Associate Dean Academic, Faculty of Arts
- James Charbonneau, Associate Dean Students, Faculty of Science
- Laurie McNeill, Professor of Teaching, Department of English Language and Literatures
- Dana Turdy, VP Academic and University Affairs, AMS
- Sahand Ghaffari, Advocacy Coordinator, GSS