Event Date & Time
This event is part of the 2022 Celebrate Learning Week.
The Equity & Inclusion Scholars program has funded six projects across disciplines to develop and test innovative approaches for building capacity for transformative teaching and learning through the integration of equity, diversity, and inclusion (EDI) in teaching related scholarship. The range of projects include curricula development, instructional practice, capacity-building and assessment, as they intersect with EDI in teaching and learning. Project teams will share how their work, as part of the E&I Scholars Program, holds the potential to enhance the experiences of students who are historically or currently marginalized or excluded from higher education, and how their interventions can be applied to formal teaching practice to related disciplines, and are collaborative and build on existing resources and expertise on campus.
Titles and leads include:
- Community Building Through and in the Disciplines: Sociology & Anthropology — Neil Armitage, Sociology
- The Community as a Teacher: Addressing Issues of Sexual Diversity, Drug Use and Addiction Within the Undergraduate Dental and Dental Hygiene Curricula — Mario Brondani, Oral Health Sciences; Leeann Donnelly, Oral Health and Biomedical Sciences
- Learning from Strangers: Building Institutional Capacities for Inclusion and Intercultural Communication in UBC Classrooms — Janice Stewart, Institute for Gender, Race, Sexuality & Social Justice & Annette Henry, Language & Literacy Education
- Increasing Accessibility and Equity in Health and Human Service Educational Programs – What are the Best Instructional Practices in Clinical Education? — Tal Jarus, Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy; Shahbabo Zaman Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy
- Embedding Equity and Community Engagement in Asian Canadian Studies Curriculum — Chris Lee, English/Asian Canadian and Asian Migration Studies
- Enhancing Equity Across Active-learning Introductory Science Courses — Christine Goedhart, Botany & Skylight: Science Centre for Learning and Teaching; Karen Smith, Microbiology and Immunology; Jaclyn Stewart, Senior Instructor, Chemistry
This event is organized by the UBC Equity & Inclusion Office and will be moderated by Maryam Nabavi, Staff & Faculty Strategist, EIO.