Event Date & Time
Click “Register Now” to apply for the Teaching Practicum. Your application will be reviewed and if you are selected as a participant you will be contacted by email after application closes. Application closes on November 8.
What is the Graduate Teaching Practicum?
The next Graduate Teaching Practicum cohort will start in November 2023. In order to apply:
- You need to be a graduate student and a CIRTL Associate (have completed a Grad ISW, the CIRTL Summer Teaching Institute, or Foundations of Pedagogy).
- Participants need to identify a mentor in their discipline who will be teaching in the Winter Term and who is willing to both let them observe their mentor’s teaching and give two guest lectures.
By the end of the Practicum you will be able to:
- Create a framework for how a typical university course operates
- Articulate how teaching and learning theories intersect with the practical requirements of a university course
- Design university lessons which incorporate learner-centred lesson planning basics, demonstrating the alignment of learning objectives, learning activities and assessment techniques
- Develop and refine a teaching portfolio using the evidence of teaching effectiveness gathered throughout the practicum
The schedule is as follows and sessions will be held online on Zoom.
- There is a pre-work module that needs to be completed prior to the first session.
- There are 6 sessions on the following dates and times:
- November 16, 2023: 10am -12 pm PST – Asynchronous course opens (overview of program, requirements, etc.)
- December 7, 2023: 10am – 12pm PST – Lesson Design Clinic
- January 11, 2024: 10am-12 pm PST – Teaching Portfolios Workshop
- February 1, 2024: 10am-12 pm PST – Introduction to Scholarship of Teaching & Learning Workshop
- March 7, 2024: 10am-12 pm PST – Equity, Diversity, & Inclusion in Teaching Workshop
- April 4, 2024: 10am-12 pm PST – Final Reflections & Expert Panel Discussion