Event Date & Time
*This ISW will be held online*
Please read the workshop eligibility prior to signing up for the waitlist.
***Click “Register Now” to sign up for the WAITLIST only (being on the waitlist doesn’t guarantee a spot). If you are selected as a participant you receive an email to confirm your registration about 2-3 weeks beforehand***
*** Please note that the dates and times of the ONLINE ISW are as follows***
- Meeting 1 (pre-meeting): Monday, September 19, 5 – 7 PM
- Meeting 2: Saturday, September 24, 9 AM – 3 PM
- Meeting 3: Saturday, October 1, 9 AM – 5 PM
- Meeting 4: Sunday, October 2, 9 AM – 5 PM
Registration for the WAITLIST of this ISW opens on August 12 and closes on September 14, 2022 at 4:30 pm.
Workshop Overview: This 4-day workshop (24-hour) consists of teaching practice, theory application, and topical sessions specifically relevant to Teaching Assistants and Graduate Students at UBC. During the workshop you will teach 3 short lessons and receive feedback from your peers. You will work closely with peers and trained facilitators (who are themselves UBC graduate students). In this supportive atmosphere you will have a chance to begin to develop new teaching skills, to enhance existing skills, and/or to try new and challenging ideas. This workshop is being offered in a special ONLINE format to accommodate distance learning and to meet the rapidly changing needs of TAs and graduate student instructors as a result of this shift to online education and will therefore focus on online instruction.
Participants do not need to be extraordinarily technology-proficient to be successful in this workshop. An introduction to all technologies used within the workshop will be provided.
A participant who wishes to take the Grad ISW is eligible if they are:
- a full-time or part-time registered graduate student at UBC during the academic term when the ISW is offered. Winter Session Term 1 (September-December), Term 2 (January-April); Summer Session Term 1 (May-June), Term 2 (July-August). Please ensure you are registered as a Graduate Student in Winter Session Term 1 (September-December 2022).
- a graduate student at UBC who has completed degree requirements but has not yet convocated
- a joint degree graduate student who is enrolled at UBC and another institution
- a graduate student at UBC pursuing non-degree studies
- a visiting graduate student that is eligible to take courses
A participant who wishes to take the Grad ISW is not eligible if they are:
- not a graduate student at UBC
- a graduate student at UBC who has on-leave status
- a visiting graduate student that is not eligible to take courses
Additional information on the Graduate ISW can be found online here
Questions: If you have any questions please contact firstname.lastname@example.org