Event Date & Time
The in-person Graduate Instructional Skills Workshop (ISW) on June 27, 28 & July 4, 2020 has been cancelled and will instead move online to Canvas and Zoom. Those who had previously signed up for the in-person ISW waitlist are not required to sign up for the online ISW waitlist again as your names are already in the system.
*** Please note that the dates and times of the online ISW are from July 2-12, 2020 for a total of 5 sessions ***
- Thursday, July 2 | 5pm-7pm
- Saturday, July 4 | 9am – 5pm
- Sunday, July 5 | 1pm – 2 pm
- Saturday, July 11 | 9am – 3pm
- Sunday, July 12 | 12pm-6pm
***Click “Register Now” to sign up for the WAITLIST only (being on the waitlist doesn’t guarantee a spot). IF you are chosen to participate, you will be contacted directly by our office by email (between after signing up and by registration closing date)***
Registration for the WAITLIST of this ISW closes on Monday June 29 at 4:30pm.
Workshop Overview: This 5-day workshop (24-hour) consists of teaching practice, theory application, and topical sessions specifically relevant to Teaching Assistants and Graduate Students at UBC. During the workshop you will teach 3 short lessons and receive feedback from your peers. You will work closely with peers and trained facilitators (who are themselves UBC graduate students). In this supportive atmosphere you will have a chance to begin to develop new teaching skills, to enhance existing skills, and/or to try new and challenging ideas. This workshop is being offered in a special ONLINE format to accommodate distance learning and to meet the rapidly changing needs of TAs and graduate student instructors as a result of this shift to online education and will therefore focus on online instruction.
A participant who wishes to take the Grad ISW is eligible if they are:
- a full-time or part-time registered graduate student at UBC during the academic term when the ISW is offered
- a graduate student at UBC who has completed degree requirements but has not yet convocated
- a joint degree graduate student who is enrolled at UBC and another institution
- a graduate student at UBC pursuing non-degree studies
- a visiting graduate student that is eligible to take courses
A participant who wishes to take the Grad ISW is not eligible if they are:
- not a graduate student at UBC
- a graduate student at UBC who has on-leave status
- a visiting graduate student that is not eligible to take courses
Additional information on the Graduate ISW can be found online here
IMPORTANT Registration Process: ISWs offered for Graduate Students at UBC are in high demand and wait lists for each workshop are typically 80-100+.
Questions: If you have any questions please contact email@example.com