Event Date & Time
This event is part of the CTLT Spring Institute, taking place from May 31–June 3, 2022. To view all events, visit https://institute.ctlt.ubc.ca/spring-institute/spring-institute-events/
In this session, we will explore ways of engaging students in online classes using sound pedagogical approaches to guide our use of technologies in the environment of synchronous online classes. Through the session, we will demonstrate the use of a number of online tools, while discussing strategies to help students to remain focused and connected with the material being taught, and the activities they are engaging in.
- Balance transmission and experiential elements in your online lesson to improve engagement
- Design breakout groups that help to focus and scaffold student attention to achieve the intended learning outcomes
- Use Zoom and Google Docs in combination to provide students with engaging online classes
- Christina Hendricks, Professor of Teaching, Philosophy; Academic Director, Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology
- Joseph Topornycky, Manager, Graduate Student Program, CTLT