Event Date & Time
This event is part of the 2022 Celebrate Learning Week.
Join us for an Alternative Grading lightning talk event, where UBC faculty from a range of disciplines, who have implemented alternative grading practices will speak about their experiences in short presentations. Alternative grading is a practice that de-emphasizes grades, and focuses on feedback to support student growth. Alternative grading practices often represent more equitable grading practices, which in turn help to decrease achievement disparities. These talks will provide you with alternative frameworks for increasing student engagement, creativity, and mastery of learning outcomes. The presentations will be followed by a question and answer period. The goal of this event is to provide the audience with an opportunity to learn about different types of alternative grading practices from practitioners and to learn about what worked, missteps, and student outcomes based on course data.
- Claire Yan, Associate Professor of Teaching, Faculty of Applied Science, School of Engineering
- Julia Bullard, Assistant Professor, School of Information
- Jonathan Graves, Assistant Professor of Teaching, Faculty of Arts
- Louis Maraj, Assistant Professor, School of Journalism, Writing and Media
- Katie Lee Bunting, Assistant Professor of Teaching, Department of Occupational Science and Occupational Therapy | Faculty of Medicine