Event Date & Time
This event is part of the TA Institute, taking place from January 16–19, 2023.
Eligibility: The TA Institute is open to all undergraduate TAs, graduate students who are interested in teaching, and all graduate student TAs. This session is not open to general undergraduate students, staff, or faculty.
When designing our lessons and curriculum, we often think about the content and what objectives we would like students to take away from our courses. However, we should also keep in mind that our students have diverse learning needs and, as such, we should design our courses and teaching instruction with proactive and flexible inclusive measures. While there is no one-size-fits-all solution for supporting inclusivity and accessibility in our classroom, in this session we will reflect on our own experiences and discuss different classroom scenarios to identify barriers to participation and develop strategies to mitigate these. Together we will examine the classroom environment and the student needs for inclusivity and accessibility.
- Alexandra Jewell, PhD Candidate, Department of Philosophy
If you wish to complete this workshop as part of either of the themes below to receive a Letter of Completion, you must complete:
- the pre-session online module by January 16th, 2023 by 11:59 PM
- Fully attend 4 sessions under each theme you want to complete (this means arriving on time and participating until the end of the session)
- the post-session online module by January 27th, 2023 at 11:59 PM
- a theme completion form by January 27th, 2023 at 11:59 PM (only complete this form once—make sure to indicate all themes and all sessions that you have completed).
Click HERE to access all pre- and post-session modules for each theme. If you have any questions about the pre or post work please reach out to CTLT.TAInstitute@ubc.ca.
This session falls into the following themes:
- Exploring and Supporting Inclusivity, Equity, Accessibility and Wellness
- Experiential and Active Learning
- Online Mode
This year, workshops in the TA institute are organized into 5 themes. If you complete 4 workshops in a theme, complete the related pre- & post-session online modules and submit a theme completion form, you are eligible for a Letter of Completion that you can include in your Teaching Portfolio and CV. The Letter of Completion will include a brief description of the theme(s) that you completed, and how the work you did in the theme(s) support your development as a teacher.
This event will be hosted online on Zoom.