Event Date & Time
Indigenous Initiatives Design Series (“II-Design Series”)
A three-part workshop series is for anyone who is interested in integrating Indigenous content into a course or learning project they are developing. The series has been intentionally designed to span 3 months, where participants have the opportunity to reflect on their learnings in between sessions and adapt the learning to fit their own context.
The goal of the series is to create space for instructors and members of the UBC teaching and learning community who come to Indigenous topics with different levels of knowledge and expertise to: share practices; redesign elements of their teaching and learning projects and resources; model and explore educational materials; and apply classroom climate principles to everyday learning design situations.
To register, participants are asked to commit for the entire series. Completion of the full series requires approximately 15 hours total time commitment, including attendance and participation in two half-day workshops, one full-day workshop, and homework/preparation.
- 3 in-person workshops, totaling 12 hours face-to-face time commitment
- 2-3 hours required preparation, homework and blended-learning activities
For more information, see: http://ctlt-ii-designlab.sites.olt.ubc.ca/
MOTIVATION AND CONTEXT
Please note: This workshop is Part 1 in a 3-part series. Please also register in Parts 2 and 3. Approximately one week before the workshop, all participants will be emailed a short required pre-work assignment to complete.
In this session, participants will consider your own motivations and interests for integrating Indigenous perspectives and topics in your course, aspects of your teaching contexts that may either support or challenge your efforts, and strategies for setting goals and mobilizing support. Through interactive, blended learning activities and peer-to-peer discussion, we will take a closer look at classroom climate, instructor/student positionality, and place. Please register by Monday, September 17 at 4:30PM.
Register for other workshops in this series:
- Part 2: Positionality and Place, Tuesday, October 23 (9:30AM-12:30PM)
- Part 3: Design Lab, Monday, December 10 9AM-3PM
- Sue Hampton, Educational Consultant, Facilitation and Process Design, Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology
- Janey Lew, Educational Consultant, Indigenous Initiatives, Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology
- Amy Perreault, Strategist, Indigenous Initiatives, Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology
- Erin Yun, Educational Consultant, Classroom and Campus Climate, Centre for Teaching, Learning, and Technology
Venue Website: http://www.maps.ubc.ca/PROD/index_detail.php?locat1=516Address:
Please note this room is located through the CTLT offices of the 2nd floor in IKBLC.