Event Date & Time
To register, please click “register now” to fill out an application.
- 1h check-in (Zoom): date TBD
- Online modules (Canvas): approximately 4 hours of asynchronous course-work
- Workshop (on campus); 4 days
- May 14: 9:30 am – 2:00 pm
- May 15: 9:30 am – 3:00 pm
- May 16: 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
- May 17: 9:30 am – 4:30 pm
This workshop, which focuses on teaching groups of students, is designed to enhance the teaching effectiveness of both new and experienced educators. In a supportive atmosphere, you will have a chance to try new teaching approaches and to sharpen existing skills. During the workshop, you will design and conduct three “mini-lessons” and receive verbal, written and video feedback from your peers. In addition, you will reflect on your own teaching practices. The success of this program relies on the active participation and collaboration of all participants who, as a team, work together to support each other in enhancing their teaching effectiveness.
Participants will join a 1h Zoom meeting and spend 4 hours of self-paced facilitated asynchronous learning in the two weeks before the full in person ISW days. In addition, participants should allocate about 1-2 hours before the workshop and during the evenings of the workshop to prepare their mini-lessons and for homework. A certificate of completion will be awarded to each participant who participates in aspects of the ISW.
Requirements and Certification:
The Instructional Skills Workshop is an internationally certified program that is offered and recognized around the world. For the international certification to be meaningful, all certifying institutions agree to meet four core requirements:
- 24 hours of contact/content (includes time spent online and in person)
- 3 mini-lesson cycles per participants (11-13.5 hours minimum)
- Theme sessions on lesson basics, learning theory, and at least one other topic (4 hours minimum, online and in person)
- Provide a safe, confidential, peer-led, learning community-based structure
Additional information on the Faculty ISW can be found online here.
Registration Process: If you are interested in attending this workshop, please click “register now” to fill out an application. All participants will be notified within two weeks of their applications status.
Am I Eligible to Apply:
You are eligible to apply if you either:
- Teach an undergraduate or graduate course at UBC
- Design or facilitate teaching and learning events that support undergraduate or graduate students at UBC
- UBC faculty or postdoctoral fellow (currently not teaching a course)
If you have any issues registering, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Venue Website: http://www.maps.ubc.ca/PROD/index_detail.php?locat1=516Address:
Please note this room is located through the CTLT offices of the 2nd floor in IKBLC.