Event Date & Time
We will be running a mastermind group this fall and invite you to join us! The purpose of the mastermind group is to build capacity and provide support for educators who work to enhance the first year experience (FYE) at the UBC Point Grey Campus.
In order to participate, we ask that you be able to attend at least 3 of the in-person meetings.
Meetings will be held in the Henry Angus Building (location details will be sent ahead of time to confirmed participants).
The Educators in the First Year Experience Mastermind Group is open to:
- Educators involved in the first year experience (FYE) on UBC-V campus. The term ‘educators’ is used broadly and is not limited to those who have a formal teaching appointment.
- At each meeting, 1-2 people will be asked to be “in the spotlight;”; this means you will be asked to share a specific challenge you are having, as it relates to the FYE, and the group will help brainstorm possible ways forward. We request that everyone be willing to participate in the spotlights.
- Together, we will begin to collate resources for educators of the FYE. These will be added to the UBC wiki so they can be easily shared.
- We will be evaluating the process and outcomes of the mastermind group and will be asking for your written and oral feedback at various points.
- Cost = none
- We anticipate that you may need to commit a bit of time between meetings to look up or summarize a resource or follow-up on something that came up at the meeting. The between-meeting time commitment should not exceed 30 minutes/week.
- You must be able to attend at least 3 of the meetings (virtual attendance for one session may be possible; however, we are focussing on face-to-face).
- Participation in the mastermind group is limited to 9 people maximum.
- Express interest in joining the group by August 23, 2019
- You will be asked to indicate your current involvement as an educator in the FYE and any restrictions on your availability for the meeting dates
- We will prioritize people who are actively teaching (broadly defined) and who are available for all 4 meeting dates.
- By August 27, 2019 Isabeau will confirm your participation in the fall 2019 mastermind group.
For additional details as to what a mastermind group is, please refer to this post: https://blogs.ubc.ca/iiqbal/2016/11/02/starting-a-mastermind-group/
If you have questions, please reach out to Isabeau Iqbal at email@example.com.
- Isabeau Iqbal, Senior Educational Consultant: Educational Leadership, CTLT
- Karen Smith, Lecturer, Microbiology and Immunology
Venue: Henry Angus Building
Venue Website: https://learningspaces.ubc.ca/buildings/henry-angus-anguAddress: