Event Date & Time
To register, please click “register now” to fill out an application.
Please Note: Adhering to physical distancing and other public health requirements, the Faculty ISW format is subject to change. We will maintain a clear focus on ensuring high-quality online, and when possible, in-person instruction. This approach is based on the current guidelines and direction of the Provincial Health Officer, public health agencies, and the Ministry of Advanced Education, Skills and Training. The session may move completely online.
- June 28: 10:00am – 11:00am (Zoom)
- July 11: 10:30am – 3:00pm
- July 12: 10:30am – 4:00pm
- July 13: 9:30am – 4:30pm
- July 14: 9:30am – 4:30pm
Workshop Overview: This workshop, which focuses on teaching groups of students, is designed to enhance the teaching effectiveness of both new and experienced educators. In a supportive atmosphere, you will have a chance to try new teaching approaches and to sharpen existing skills. During the workshop, you will design and conduct three “mini-lessons” and receive verbal, written and video feedback from your peers. In addition, you will reflect on your own teaching practices. The success of this program relies on the active participation and collaboration of all participants who, as a team, work together to support each other in enhancing their teaching effectiveness. In addition to our face-to-face time during the workshop, participants will join a 1h Zoom meeting and spend about 6 hours of self-paced facilitated asynchronous learning in the two weeks before the full ISW days. Participants should allocate about 1-2 hours before the workshop and during the evenings of the workshop for homework and to prepare their mini-lessons. A certificate of completion will be awarded to each participant.
Requirements and Certification: The Instructional Skills Workshop is an internationally certified program that is offered and recognized around the world. For the international certification to be meaningful, all certifying institutions agree to meet four core requirements:
- 24 hours of contact/content (includes time spent online and in person)
- 3 mini-lesson cycles per participants (11-13.5 hours minimum)
- Theme sessions on lesson basics, learning theory, and at least one topic (6 hours minimum, online and in person)
- Provide a safe, confidential, peer-led, learning community-based structure
Additional information on the Faculty ISW can be found online here.
Registration Process: If you are interested in attending this workshop, please click “register now” to fill out an application. All participants will be notified within two weeks of their applications status.
Am I Eligible to Apply:
We use the term “faculty” to mean anyone who:
- Teaches a credited course at UBC
- Coordinates programs for students enrolled in credit courses at UBC
- Leads or designs teaching and learning events, not mentioned above, that are for, or otherwise support, students enrolled in credit course at UBC
If you have any issues registering, please contact email@example.com.
Venue Website: http://www.maps.ubc.ca/PROD/index_detail.php?locat1=516Address:
Please note this room is located through the CTLT offices of the 2nd floor in IKBLC.