Event Date & Time
*This event has been cancelled*
This event will held in person.
Click ‘Register Now’ to submit your application for the CIRTL Summer Institute. Your application will be reviewed and you will be notified by email if you are selected as a participant. Registration closes on June 12.
The CSTI is a three day, in-person, intensive professional development session designed for graduate students and postdoctoral fellows interested in broadening and enhancing their instructional skills. It caters to individuals who have some basic skills and experience but are looking to continue to build a deeper understanding of teaching and learning, both in theory and in practice. We take a learner-centered approach that will have experienced in some of your previous teaching and learning professional development. Participants benefit from practicing skills and sharing ideas in a cooperative environment.
The workshop consists of teaching practice, theory application, and topical sessions specifically relevant to those who are no longer complete beginners but are not experts. During the workshop you will teach three short lessons and receive feedback from your peers and conduct a small project focused on your teaching. You will work closely with peers and trained facilitators (many of whom are award winning UBC graduate student TAs). In this supportive atmosphere you will have a chance to begin to develop new teaching skills, to enhance existing skills, and/or to try new and challenging ideas.
Due to the interactive nature of this workshop, participants must be comfortable communicating verbally in English. The CSTI runs for 3 days from 8:15 am – 6:00 pm each day in person and attendance is required for the full time. This year the CSTI will be held June 20, 22, and 24th 2022.
A participant who wishes to take the CIRTL Summer Teaching Institute (CSTI) is eligible if they are:
- a CIRTL Associate (have taken an Instructional Skills Workshop, Foundations of Pedagogy, or similar) AND:
- a full-time or part-time registered graduate student or postdoctoral fellow at UBC during the academic term when the CSTI is offered
- a graduate student at UBC who has completed degree requirements but has not yet convocated
- a joint degree graduate student who is enrolled at UBC and another institution
- a graduate student at UBC pursuing non-degree studies
- a visiting graduate student that is eligible to take courses
A participant who wishes to take the CSTI is not eligible if they are:
- A graduate student or postdoctoral fellow who has not done an Instructional Skills Workshop (ISW) or taken the Foundations of Pedagogy course (or similar)
- not a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow at UBC
- a graduate student or postdoctoral fellow at UBC who has on-leave status
- a visiting graduate student that is not eligible to take courses