Event Date & Time
Join us for the 2020 Virtual Learning Analytics Hackathon!
Registration for the Hackathon is full. Please add your name to the waitlist HERE.
Did you know that Canvas includes an API for accessing and modifying your learning data in your own programs and scripts? Have you ever wanted to build a web application using Canvas data to improve your learning and the learning of your peers? Please join us for a UBC Learning Analytics Virtual Hackathon on October 25! We will be hosting this event virtually with Zoom and Canvas as our main communication platforms.
This one day event will guide you through the process of building a dashboard using your own Canvas data as well as other data sources!
Previous Learning Analytics Hackathons have invited students to develop projects from scratch. However, in this event, we will be providing scaffolding and support to allow participants with any level of experience with programming to learn how to develop a simple student dashboard/web app. You can take a look at our Github repo for more details. This might be better thought of as a “workshopathon” that will help you develop skills for a more traditional hackathon.
If you already have programming experience, we have also designed materials that will get you set up with a basic dashboard quickly, with lots of flexibility and ideas for you to develop more advanced tools and visualizations. Innovative designs that go beyond our scaffolded material could be invited to become part of a UBC Learning Analytics pilot.
If you have the desire to explore educational data, or to even just learn more about learning analytics, programming, data analysis and/or visualization, then we are looking for you to join us!
Students with any level of experience are welcome!
October 25, 9:00am-5:30pm
- 9:00am – Hackathon Welcome and Orientation
- 9:20am – Hack! Participants work through steps for building a student dashboard/web app.
- Solutions for each step will be released at predetermined times for each of the steps
- 11:00am – Advanced participants who have worked through all of the steps form a team
- 2:00pm – Intermediate participants who have worked through all of the steps for a team
- 4:30pm – Small optional presentation at the end for students who built out some cool features?
- 5:15pm – Hackathon wrap up and conclusion
Preparing for the Hackathon
What do you need to do?
- Upgrade your Zoom client to version 5.3! This will allow you to move between hackathon break out rooms
- Self enrol in the Hackathon Canvas Course (link sent with registration) and introduce yourself
- Optional: work through setup instructions.
Things you might want to do beforehand?
More Event Details
Don’t see what you’re looking for here? First read through the Hackathon repo. If you still have questions, feel free to contact Craig Thompson (craig.thompson (at) ubc.ca) or Alison Myers (alison.myers (at) sauder.ubc.ca) !
Want to learn more about Learning Analytics Hackathons? Read and watch about previous hackathons here.